Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Governor Ralph O. Brewster (right) was a keynote speaker at the embarkation ceremony for Donald B. MacMillan's (left) Arctic Expedition of 1926.
According to the June 20, 1926 edition of the Sunday Telegram, Governor Brewster "wished Commander MacMillan and his party godspeed" and that "the accomplishments of the explorer in the past was a demonstration of the fact that man is constantly winning the mastery of the secrets of the world."
Wooden crates on the deck, marked "Autoline Oil," contain lubricating oil.
About This Item
- Title: Governor Brewster, Commander MacMillan, Wiscasset, June 19, 1926
- Creation Date: 1926-06-19
- Subject Date: 1926-06-19
- Location: Wiscasset, Lincoln County, ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 8.3 cm x 10.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.13501
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Arrivals & departures--Maine--Wiscasset
- Bowdoin (Ship)
- Brewster, Owen, 1888-1961
- Decks (Ship)
- MacMillan, Donald Baxter, 1874-1970
- Sailing ships--Maine
- Shaking hands
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.