Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Captain William Sylvester (left) carrying the removed pectoral fin of a finback whale on Ragged Island. The whale was discovered by lobster fishermen after a storm washed it ashore near Orr's Island in February.
About This Item
- Title: Men carrying a whale fin, Ragged Island, 1927
- Creator: Portland Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1927-02-23
- Subject Date: 1927-02-23
- Local Name: Ragged Island
- Town: Harpswell
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 8.3 cm x 10.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.14632
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.