Contributed by Maine State Archives
Dr. Estes Nichols, medical director of the Maine State Sanatorium in Hebron, wrote to Sanatorium Association President Hiram Ricker to detail expenses and how he was trying to save money and increase income.
The privately operated tuberculosis facility had experienced financial challenges since it opened in 1904.
Nichols notes the Sanatorium might have to be turned over to the state, something he thought would be detrimental to its mission.
In 1915 the state did take over the Sanatorium in Hebron and another privately operated tuberculosis facility in Fairfield.
About This Item
- Title: Sanatorium expenses, Hebron, 1913
- Creator: Nichols, Estes
- Creation Date: 1913-05-01
- Subject Date: 1913-05-01
- Town: Hebron, South Poland
- County: Androscoggin, Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 2613-076, Box 7/1913, May
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Western Maine Sanatorium
- Tuberculosis hospitals--Maine
- Hospitals, convalescent--Maine--Hebron
- Maine State Sanatorium
- Ricker, Hiram--Correspondence
- Nichols, Estes--Correspondence
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.