Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This map shows lots and plans for a summer colony on Cushing Island.
In 1883 Francis Cushing hired Frederick Law Olmsted and Charles Eliot, landscape architects, to design a summer resort on this private island in Casco Bay.
The Ottawa House was designed to attract summer visitors from Canada.
About This Item
- Title: Map of Cushing Island, ca. 1888
- Creator: Ilsley & Cummings
- Creation Date: circa 1888
- Subject Date: circa 1888
- Local Name: Cushing Island
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper, map
- Dimensions: 23 cm x 39 cm
- Local Code: Map FF 150
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Fort Levett (Me.)
- Cushing Island (Me.)--Maps.
- Portland (Me.)--Maps.
- Hotels--Maine--Cushing Island
- Ottawa House (Cushing Island, Me.)
- Resorts--Maine--Cushing Island
- Fortification--Maine--Cushing Island
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.