Contributed by Island Falls Historical Society
This necklace was carved from cherry pits by Mr. Coffin, a Union soldier, while he was held in a Confederate Prisoner of War camp from 1862 to 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Cherry pit necklace, Island Falls, ca. 1863
- Creator: Coffin
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Location: Island Falls, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Cherry pits
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 21 cm
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Prisoners of war
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
For more information about this item, contact:Island Falls Historical Society
PO Box 204, Island Falls, ME 04747
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.