Contributed by Great Harbor Maritime Museum
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student. More info about student projects.
The Northeast Harbor Swim Club. In 1897, Bishop Doane along with Samuel Eliot and James Terry Gardiner established the Village Improvement Society to make Northeast Harbor a desirable summer place. They furthered and helped in the direction of the swimming pool, the golf course, and the tennis club. The Village Improvement Society was primarily managed by summer people, but a few local residents were on the board of directors though not invited to join in on the activities.
About This Item
- Title: Northeast Harbor Swimming Pool, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: Mount Desert, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 13 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Clubs--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Swimming pools--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Sports & recreation facilities--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Recreation--Maine--Northeast Harbor
- Northeast Harbor Swim Club (Northeast Harbor, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Great Harbor Maritime Museum
124 Main St, PO Box 145, Northeast Harbor, ME 04662
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.