Contributed by Acadia National Park
A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) vehicle crosses a bridge at Sieur de Monts Springs in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island in 1934.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the CCC during the Great Depression to put men to work and to preserve forests and national parks. There were two camps on Mount Desert Island, one at Bar Harbor and one at Southwest Harbor.
The Maine Forest Service operated other camps throughout the state.
About This Item
- Title: CCC vehicle, Sieur de Monts Springs, ca. 1934
- Creation Date: circa 1934
- Subject Date: circa 1934
- Town: Bar Harbor, Mount Desert
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Acadia National Park (Me.)
- United States. National Park Service
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- Mount Desert Island (Me.)
- Bridges--Maine--Mount Desert Island
- Automobiles--Maine--Mount Desert Island
For more information about this item, contact:Acadia National Park
PO Box 177, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.