Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Portland Company's locomotive works manufactured this locomotive named after Portland businessman H. N. Jose for the Portland & Kennebec Railroad Company.
Horatio Nelson Jose (1819-1892) was a founder of Maine General Hospital, an organizer of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad in 1870, and a director of the Portland, Kennebec, and Maine Central Railroads, among many other civic activities.
About This Item
- Title: H. N. Jose locomotive, Portland, ca. 1880
- Creator: Portland Company
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 701, v. 3
- Collection: Richard F. Dole papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Jose, Horatio Nelson, 1819-1892--Commemoration
- Portland & Kennebec Railroad Company
- Portland Company (Portland, Me.)--Manufactures
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.