Contributed by Acadia National Park
The Green Mountain House was a hotel located at the top of Green Mountain (now Cadillac) on Mt. Desert Island.
Guests took the Steamer Wauwinet on Eagle Lake to the base of the mountain where they then boarded the Green Mountain Railway to go to the summit of the mountain.
The hotel burned and was immediately rebuilt. The railroad stopped operations in 1890.
About This Item
- Title: Green Mountain hotel, Mt. Desert Island, ca. 1885
- Creation Date: circa 1885
- Subject Date: circa 1885
- Bar Harbor, Hancock County, ME
- Eden, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Green Mountain Railroad
- Railroads--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Cadillac Mountain (Me.)
- Resorts--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Hotels--Maine--Bar Harbor
- Mount Desert Island (Me.)
- Green Mountain House (Bar Harbor, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Acadia National Park
PO Box 177, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.