Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The new East Deering Bypass overpass in Portland was in the background, in the foreground were cars turning from Washington Avenue to Veranda Street.
The photo, taken by Portland newspaper photographer Elwell, showed the effect of the new outbound section of the bypass with the cars coming toward the camera at the center. The inbound section was not yet opened.
The newspaper caption noted that when the one section was opened, a huge traffic jam ensued on Forest Avenue, a problem that was alleviated by making traffic two-way on the new section.
About This Item
- Title: Washington Avenue and Veranda Street, Portland, 1954
- Creator: Elwell
- Creation Date: 1954-08-14
- Subject Date: 1954-08-14
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: Photographs -- Portland -- Streets -- Washington
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Road construction--Maine--Portland
- Traffic congestion
- Veranda Street (Portland, Me.)
- Washington Avenue (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.