Contributed by New Sweden Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
From left are the Kapitoleum or Town Hall, the New Sweden Historical Society Museum (the original Town Hall/Kapitoleum), and Capitol Hill School. After the Town Hall was built it provided a meeting place with a recreation center for the town.
In 1970, a fire started in the Kapitoleum and spread to the Museum resulting in the loss of both buildings. An exact replica of the Museum was constructed from plans drawn by Henry Anderson of New Sweden.
About This Item
- Title: The Kapitoleum, New Sweden, ca. 1930
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Local Name: Capitol Hill
- Town: New Sweden
- County: Aroostook
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 17 cm
- Collection: New Sweden Historical Album - 1938
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Capital Hill School (New Sweden, Me.)
- City & town halls--Maine--New Sweden
- Historical Societies--Maine--New Sweden
- Museums--Maine--New Sweden
- New Sweden Historical Society (Me.)
- Schools--Maine--New Sweden
- Swedish Americans--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:New Sweden Historical Society
116 Station Road, New Sweden, ME 04762
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.