Contributed by Maine Granite Industry Historical Society
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student. More info about student projects.
The Cunningham Boarding house in Hall Quarry was one of a number of boarding houses that were home to the transient population that worked at Hall Quarry.
The boarding houses were known as well-built structures with small sleeping rooms and a wood or coal fired stove heating only the downstairs main lounge. This room was sometimes known as the "Smoking Room."
Gambling was not permitted so the workers would sit around and play cribbage or read the newspaper.
About This Item
- Title: Cunningham Boarding House, Mount Desert, ca. 1905
- Creation Date: circa 1905
- Subject Date: circa 1905
- Mount Desert, Hancock County, ME
- Hall Quarry, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 20 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Stone quarrying--Maine
- Standard Granite Company (Mount Desert, Me.)--Buildings
- Lodging houses--Maine--Mount Desert
- Cunningham Boarding House (Mount Desert, Me.)
- Standard Granite Company (Mount Desert, Me.)--People
- Group portraits
- Hall Quarry (Mount Desert, Me.)
- Granite quarrying--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Granite Industry Historical Society
62 Beech Hill Cross Road, Mount Desert, ME 04660
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.