Contributed by Freeport Historical Society
Naval seaman John Monroe Dillingham is aboard the U.S. sloop of war Housatonic, writing from Boston.
He describes some of his duties and mentions a trial sea trip and comments on events at home in Freeport.
About This Item
- Title: John M. Dillingham to his mother, September 5, 1862
- Creator: Dillingham, John Monroe
- Creation Date: 1862-09-05
- Subject Date: 1862
- Town: Boston, Freeport
- County: Cumberland, Suffolk
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Paper
- Local Code: 1862-09-05 JMD to MDD letter
- Collection: Dillingham family papers, Coll 135
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Dilllingham, John Monroe, 1844-1864--Travel
- Dilllingham, John Monroe, 1844-1864--Correspondence
- Freeport (Me.)
- Ordinance, Naval
- Housatonic (sloop of war)
- Bandages and bandaging
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Clothing and dress
- Dillingham, Margaret Dennison, 1818-1878--Correspondence
- Dillingham family
- Military art and science
For more information about this item, contact:Freeport Historical Society
45 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.