Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
These flags were positioned atop the Portland Observatory to alert Portland's residents and shipowners of ships arriving in Portland Harbor.
Lemuel Moody, who built the Portland Observatory and was the caretaker at the time this document was created may be its author.
About This Item
- Title: Signal flags, Portland, ca. 1800
- Creation Date: circa 1800
- Subject Date: circa 1800
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Paper
- Local Code: Coll. 902, Box 1/1
- Collection: Portland Observatory signal books and thermometrical records
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Signal Flags
- Signals and signalling--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.