Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Martha Washington wrote to a Mrs. Warren from New York in December 1789. She describes being first lady as "my new and unwished for situation."
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Martha Washington to Mrs. Warren, 1789
- Creator: Washington, Martha Custis
- Creation Date: 1789-12-26
- Subject Date: 1789
- Town: Washington
- State: DC
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 420, Box 46/2
- Collection: John S. H. Fogg autograph collection
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- First ladies--United States
- Washington, Martha, 1731-1802--Correspondence
- Washington, Martha, 1731-1802--Autographs
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.