Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Plate of pearlware with transfer print of bridge and castle scene decoration in blue from Zilpah Wadsworth's dinner set.
The set was thought to have been given to Zilpah Wadsworth on her marriage to Stephen Longfellow in 1804.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow described the "willow pattern" in the plate in his poem "Keramos."
About This Item
- Title: Plate from Zilpah Wadsworth's dinner set
- Creator: Henshall and Company, Staffordshire, England
- Creation Date: circa 1800
- Subject Date: 1804
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Porcelain
- Dimensions: 2 cm x 19 cm
- Local Code: A85-1-D
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Plates (Tableware)
- Longfellow, Zilpah Wadsworth, 1778-1851--Associated objects
- Longfellow, Stephen, 1776-1849--Marriage
- Wedding gifts
- Wadsworth-Longfellow House (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.