Contributed by Presque Isle Air Museum
A Douglas C-54 four-engine transport of the North Atlantic Division of the Air Transport Command, dubbed at Presque Isle as the "Snowball Express," is shown being freight-loaded for overseas delivery.
The Presque Isle Air Base, which opened in 1941, served as an important site for sending equipment, supplies, and personnel to Great Britain during World War II.
About This Item
- Title: Douglas C-54, Presque Isle, 1945
- Creation Date: 1945
- Subject Date: 1945
- Location: Presque Isle, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Airports--Maine--Presque Isle
- C-54 (Transports)--Photographs
- United States. Army Air Forces--Equipment and supplies
- World War, 1939-1945
- Jet transports
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Transport Command
- United States. Air Force
- Air Transport Command
- Douglas C-54
- Mobil Shop UnitAirports
- North Atlantic Division
- Snowball Express
For more information about this item, contact:Presque Isle Air Museum
650 Airport Drive Suite 4, Presque Isle, ME 04769
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.