Henry Longfellow commisioned Eastman Johnson to do portraits of several of his friends and family members. These include Charles Sumner, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Cornelius C. Felton, Anne Longfellow Pierce, Mary Longfellow Greenleaf, and Charles and Ernest Longfellow. All of these portraits hang in the Vassall/Craigie/Longfellow House today.
About This Item
- Title: Portrait of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow by Eastman Johnson, 1846
- Creator: Eastman Johnson
- Creation Date: 1846
- Subject Date: 1846
- Location: Boston, Suffolk County, MA
- Media: Crayon and chalk on tan wove paper
- Dimensions: 68.5 cm x 59 cm x 2.8 cm
- Local Code: LONG 544
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882--Portraits
- Maine poets
- Maine authors
- Longfellow House (Cambridge, Mass.)
- Longfellow National Historic Site (Cambridge, Mass.)
For more information about this item, contact:NPS, Longfellow House-Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site
105 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.