Contributed by an individual through South Portland Public Library
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
John Marion Kaler was the brother of James Otis Kaler, noted Maine author of children's books. This house, located on Prout's Neck in Scarborough, was originally known as the Coolbroth house after the family of Mr. Kaler's wife, Elmira Coolbroth.
Ownership later passed to his daughter, Addie Elmira Kaler. On her death it became the Kaler-Vaill retirement home for women, named after Addie (Kaler) Vaill and her husband, Edward Griswold Vaill.
The picture is believed to have been taken in the early 1930s, during the lifetime of John M. Kaler.
About This Item
- Title: John Marion Kaler home, Scarborough, ca. 1930
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Local Name: Prout's Neck
- Town: Scarborough
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Kaler, Elmira Coolbroth--Homes and haunts--Maine--Scarborough
- Kaler, James Otis, 1848-1912--Family
- Kaler, John Marion--Homes and haunts--Maine--Scarborough
- Kaler-Vaill Retirement Home for Women (Scarborough, Me.)--History--Photographs
- Otis, James, 1848-1912--Family
- Homes an haunts
- Prout's Neck
- Winslow HomerKaler, James Otis, 1848-1912
For more information about this item, contact:South Portland Public Library
482 Broadway, South Portland, ME 04106
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.