Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Elizabeth Aageson of Portland received this letter from Franklin Roosevelt, assistant secretary of the U.S. Navy.
Accompanying the letter was the telescope that she had donated for the "Eyes for the Navy" campaign. The Navy collected navigational and optical equipment for use by the undersupplied U.S. Navy during World War I.
Whenever possible the items were returned to the owners at the end of the war.
About This Item
- Title: Letter concerning return of telescope, ca. 1918
- Creator: Roosevelt, Franklin D.
- Creation Date: circa 1918
- Subject Date: 1918
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 2003.261.008
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918--Social aspects--United States
- Eyes for the Navy (Program)
- Aageson, Elizabeth--Correspondence
- United States. Navy--Records and correspondence
- United States. Navy--Equipment & supplies
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.