Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Staff at the State School for Boys in South Portland are dressed for an unknown occasion. The State School was created to serve boys who had committed criminal offenses, but it often served boys who needed institutional care for some other reason. "state school officers on a lark" is written on the back of this photograph.
About This Item
- Title: State School for Boys staff, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: South Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Coll. 2126, Box 1/Env. 14
- Collection: Chaplin family collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Juvenile corrections--Maine
- Maine Youth Center
- South Portland (Me.)--History
- State Reform School
- State School for Boys (South Portland, Me.)--People
- Young men--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.