Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Fifth Maine Regiment Building was built on Peaks Island in 1888 to honor the Fifth Maine Regiment from the Civil War, which fought in 22 major battles.
The Victorian building was dedicated August 1, 1888 and served veterans and families of the Fifth Maine Regiment until 1954 when it became a museum and cultural center.
About This Item
- Title: Fifth Maine Regiment Building, Peaks Island, ca. 1890
- Creator: Libby, R. Cutler
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Local Code: Coll. 423, Box 6/8
- Collection: R. Cutler Libby glass plate negatives
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Peaks Island (Me.)--History
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories
- Fifth Maine Regiment Community Building (Peaks Island, Me.)
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.