Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Manuscript map 35 entitled, "A Draught of the Purchases on the River Kennebeck Navigable for small Vessells-1731."
On the back of the map is written, "A Map of part of Kennebeck River discribing the Plymouth Purchse Jan. 30th 1629."
Map includes areas around Merrymeeting Bay north along the river to the Cobbosseconte River: Richmond north to Augusta. Two garrisons are pictured, the southerly one in Richmond, and the one called "Cushena-formerly a Garrison" was in Augusta.
The map also refers to "Clark & Lake's" land purchases in 1649 and 1653 (Maj. Thomas Clark and Captain Thomas Lake), and the 1629 purchase by "Bradford & Associates" (William Bradford, Governor of the Plymouth Colony.)
About This Item
- Title: Purchases on the Kennebec River, 1731
- Creator: Plymouth Company (1749-1816)
- Creation Date: 1731
- Subject Date: 1629-01-30
- Town: Augusta, Richmond
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 32 cm x 40 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 60, Map 35
- Collection: Plymouth Company (1749-1816) records
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bradford, William, 1590-1657
- Clark, Thomas, 1623-1697
- Garrisons -- Maine -- Maps-- Early works to 1800
- Kennebec Patent -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Kennebec Purchase Company -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Kennebec River (Me.) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Lake, Thomas, Captain
- Land grants -- Maine
- Maine -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Plymouth Company -- 1749-1816 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Plymouth Company Patent -- 1749-1816 -- Maps-- Early works to 1800
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.