Contributed by Colby College Special Collections
A locomotive steams past the old campus, clouds of smoke hiding much of Memorial Hall. The old campus, located between the Kennebec River and the railroad, had no expansion room by the late 20s, and a poor evaluation of the campus facilities provided impetus to relocate the college. The back of the photo reads: "The $17,000,000 picture--This graphic depiction of the old Colby's predicament, published over and over, played a part in the public's appreciation of the college's problem and helped gain 20,000 contributors to the construction of the new campus. Late 30's. Joseph Coburn Smith photo."
About This Item
- Title: A locomotive steams past the old Colby campus, with Memorial Hall in the background.
- Creator: Smith, Joseph Coburn
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Local Name: Memorial Hall
- Town: Waterville
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.5 cm x 25.5 cm
- Local Code: Chapman Room Photograph Collection
- Collection: Colbiana Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Colby College--Photographs
- Universities & colleges--Maine--Waterville
For more information about this item, contact:Colby College Special Collections
5150 Mayflower Hill, Waterville, ME 04901
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.