Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Samuel Jameson Anderson was born in Portland in 1824. After receiving his law degree from Bowdoin College, Anderson practiced in Portland for many years. He was appointed Surveyor of Port in 1856, and in 1869 he became the first president of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, a position he held until his death.
General Anderson was the major-general of the state militia, and was very active in local politics. He died in 1905 in Portland. His dog's name was Nellie.
About This Item
- Title: Samuel Anderson, Portland, ca. 1888
- Creator: Lamson
- Creation Date: circa 1888
- Subject Date: circa 1888
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--OS--Box 5
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Anderson, Samuel Jameson, 1824-1905--Portrait photographs
- Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad--Employees--Photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.