Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Man standing in the middle of the Kennebec River. The Consolidated Ice Co., owned by Charles B. Morse from Bath, operated along the Kennebec River during the last part of the 19th century.
Ice was harvested, stored in ice houses and shipped south to U.S. cities. A million tons of ice a year was exported at the time this photograph was taken, circa 1895.
About This Item
- Title: Ice harvesting, Kennebec River, ca. 1895
- Creator: Litchfield Photo
- Creation Date: circa 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1895
- Location: Bowdoinham, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1957
- Collection: Consolidated Ice Co. photographs
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Business enterprises--Maine--Bowdoinham
- Consolidated Ice Co. (Bowdoinham, Me.)
- Ice industry--Maine--Bowdoinham
- Kennebec River (Me.)--Photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.