Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Two men working with ice block equipment at the Consolidated Ice Co. operation in Bowdoinham.
The man on the right is lining each block up to be lifted by the steam-powered conveyor belt into the ice house nearby.
This operation on the Kennebec River was run as a monopoly at the turn of the 19th century by Charles W. Morse of Bath.
About This Item
- Title: Ice harvesting equipment, Bowdoinham, ca. 1895
- Creator: Litchfield Photo
- Creation Date: circa 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1895
- Location: Bowdoinham, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1957
- Collection: Consolidated Ice Co. photographs
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Business enterprises--Maine--Bowdoinham
- Consolidated Ice Co. (Bowdoinham, Me.)
- Ice industry--Maine--Bowdoinham
- Kennebec River (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.