Contributed by Maine Historical Society
John H. McCarthy of Portland, Maine made this violin in 1909. It was the tenth violin he made. Around 1920, it was given to Thomas F. Gillan of Portland by his mother. Little is known about McCarthy and his career as an instrument maker, or Gillan and his musical talents.
About This Item
- Title: John H. McCarthy violin and bow, 1909
- Creator: McCarthy, John M.
- Creation Date: 1909
- Subject Date: 1909
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Spruce and maple
- Dimensions: 59 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: 2002.039
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Stringed instrument makers--Maine--Portland
- Violin makers--Maine--Portland
- Bowed string instruments--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.