Contributed by Cary Library
Black Hawk Putnam of Houlton found a substitute to serve in his place in the Civil War. This certificate of non-liability shows that he did not have to serve additional time.
Putnam was captain of Co. E of the 1st Maine Cavalry from its founding on Oct. 19, 1861 until he was honorably discharged on Feb. 19, 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Black Hawk Putnam's certificate of nonliability, 1863
- Creator: Board of Enrollment of the fourth District of the State of Maine
- Creation Date: 1863-09-25
- Subject Date: 1863-09-25
- Houlton, Aroostook County, ME
- Bangor, Penobscot County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 22 cm x 17.5 cm
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Houlton (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Recruiting and enlistment
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
For more information about this item, contact:Cary Library
107 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.