Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Ralph Nader answered questions at a news conference while in Maine October 14, 1982 to support the Maine Nuclear Referendum Committee's effort to close Maine Yankee nuclear power plant. The referendum was defeated on November 2, 1982.
Two other unsuccessful referendums to close the controversial plant were held in 1980 and 1987. The plant eventually was closed in 1996 because of cracks and other issues.
About This Item
- Title: Ralph Nader, Portland, 1982
- Creator: United Press International
- Creation Date: 1982-10-14
- Subject Date: 1982-10-14
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 7/4
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.