Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The painting, View of Portland Harbor, shows both sailing ships and a steamboat.
The island left of center is House Island and the building on it is Fort Scammel. The island with the red building is Cushing Island.
About This Item
- Title: View of Portland Harbor, ca. 1853
- Creation Date: circa 1853
- Subject Date: 1853
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Paint, canvas, wood
- Dimensions: 26 cm x 38 cm
- Local Code: A86-825
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Forts and fortifications--U.S.--Maine--Portland
- Sailing ships
- House Island (Me.)
- Fort Preble (Portland, Me.)
- Fort Scammell (Portland, Me.)
- Portland Harbor (Me.)
- Cushing's Island (Me.)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.