Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Lyman H. Nelson at Vaughan Street in Portland, ME, 1897–1926. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Other addresses include Orchard Street in Portland, ME.
Lyman H. Nelson graduated from Portland High School in 1885. In 1898 he formed the Lyman H. Nelson Company, which sold souvenirs of the State of Maine. Mr. Nelson was instrumental in bringing about the establishment of a State Highway Commission in 1913, and he became the first chairman of the Commission. After retiring from the Commission in 1924, Mr. Nelson pursued a career in real estate. He died in 1927.
Lyman H. Nelson wrote two books: "Beautiful Portland by the sea," and "The Sebago Lake region : Sebago Lake, Bridgton, Harrison, Summit Springs, Waterford." They were published in 1889.
About This Item
- Title: House for Lyman H. Nelson, Portland, 1897-1926
- Address: Vaughan Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Other Addresses:
- Orchard Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Clients: Lyman H. Nelson; Mrs. George Austin
- Creation Date: 1897–1926
- Subject Date: 1897–1926
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens
- Contributing Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: floor plans; presentation drawings; elevations; architectural elements; cross sections; site plans; sketches;
- Materials: graphite on tracing paper; ink on tracing paper; graphite on paper; ink on paper; graphite on linen; ink on linen;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 4-C-1
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 39
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.