Contributed by Norridgewock Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Sophie May House was built in 1845 by Cullen Sawtelle. Sophie May, whose real name was Rebecca Clarke, was the author of over 40 books between 1861 and 1903. Her fame came from her series called the Little Prudy books. Her sister, Sarah Clarke, was also an author and went by the name of Penn Shirley. Sophie May was hearing impaired. She died in 1906.
About This Item
- Title: Sophie May House in Norridgewock
- Creation Date: circa 1845
- Subject Date: circa 1845
- Town: Norridgewock
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: 11140
- Collection: Bette Miller Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Clarke, Rebecca Sophia, 1833-1906--Homes and haunts--Maine--Norridgewock--Photographs
- Women authors--Maine--Norridgewock
- Authors, American--Maine--Norridgewock
- Sophie May House (Norridgewock, Me.)--Photographs
- Clarke, Sarah Jones,1840-1929--Homes and haunts--Maine--Norridgewock--Photographs
- Clarke, Rebecca Sophia, 1833-1906
- female academy
- Little Prudy books
- Sophia May House (Norridgewock, Me.)
- Sophie May
For more information about this item, contact:Norridgewock Historical Society
PO Box 903, Norridgewock, ME 04957
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.