Contributed by Mechanics' Hall
- Item 111868
- print page
- download web image
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Mount Holyoke College. More info about student projects.
This unsigned drawing depicts Mechanics' Hall, the building owned by the Maine Charitable Mechanic Association since the 1850s. The MCMA was founded by a group of skilled laborers in Portland and they originally bought the building to store their library in. The ground floor of the building is shown to be rented out to Carter Brothers Jewelers, one of many tenants that Mechanics' Hall had over the years.
About This Item
- Title: Drawing of the Maine Charitable Mechanic Association, Portland, 1877
- Creation Date: circa 1877
- Subject Date: circa 1877
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Paper and ink drawing
- Local Code: Box 1, Folder 5
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Carter's Jewelers (Portland, Me.)
- Jewelry stores--Maine--Portland
- Maine Charitable Mechanic Association (Portland, Me.)
- Mechanics Hall (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Mechanics' Hall
519 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.