Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Eastern Branch N.H.D.V.S. at an unknown address in Chelsea, ME, 1900–1935. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Other addresses include an unknown address in Eastport, ME.
Togus, formally known as the Togus VA Medical Center, is a facility operated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs in Chelsea, Maine. The facility was built as a resort hotel, and housed Union veterans of the American Civil War prior to being converted to a veterans hospital. It was the first veterans facility developed by the United States government. Two hundred veterans were living at Togus during the summer of 1867, and a new barracks, hospital, and chapel were under construction.
This commission also includes 31 drawings for the Passamaquoddy bay tidal power development permanent residences (1935).
About This Item
- Title: Barracks in Togus, Chelsea, 1900
- Address: unknown, Chelsea, Kennebec County, ME
- Other Addresses:
- unknown, Eastport, Washington County, ME
- Clients: Eastern Branch N.H.D.V.S.; Passamaquoddy Bay Tidal Power Development
- Creation Date: 1900–1935
- Subject Date: 1900–1935
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Contributing Architects: John Calvin Stevens
- Contributors: Corps of Engineers - U.S. Army; U.S. Engineer Office
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: floor plans; elevations; architectural elements; structural elements; mechanical drawings; foundation plans; site plans; topographical maps; city maps;
- Materials: ink on linen; ink on paper;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 3-A-5
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 32
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Architectural drawing
- Military hospitals--Maine--Togus
- National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Eastern Branch.
- Togus (Me.)
- United States. Army--Barracks and quarters
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.