Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Smith & Broe. Druggists was on Congress Street next to the Longfellow House (at right in photo). The proprietors were James A. Broe (1868-1925) and Howard C. Smith (d. 1904).
Next to it on the left was Lane's Shoe Store, which also had another location on Congress Street. Not pictured to the left toward Brown Street were Sawyer's Ice Cream Parlor and Fessenden's Stationary Store.
Half of the top floor of Fessenden's was the Hibernian Lodge and dance hall. Later, the whole block next to the Longfellow House became Day's Jewelers.
About This Item
- Title: Smith & Broe Druggists, Portland, ca. 1912
- Creation Date: circa 1912
- Subject Date: circa 1912
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Coll. 1923/14
- Collection: Photographs of Portland, Maine, businesses
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Congress Street (Portland, Me.)--Photographs
- Maine Historical Society
- Smith and Brothers Druggist (Portland, Me.)--Photographs
- Stores, Retail--Maine--Portland
- Wadsworth-Longfellow House (Portland, Me.)--Photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.