Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Portland Society of Art at Spring Street in Portland, ME, circa 1910. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Other addresses include High Street in Portland, ME.
The Portland Museum of Art, or PMA, was founded as the Portland Society of Art in 1882. The PMA used a variety of exhibition spaces until 1908; that year Margaret Jane Mussey Sweat bequeathed her three-story mansion, now known as the McLellan House, and sufficient funds to create a gallery in memory of her late husband, Lorenzo De Medici Sweat, who was a U.S. Representative. Noted New England architect John Calvin Stevens designed the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, which opened to the public in 1911.
About This Item
- Title: L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, Portland, ca. 1910
- Address: Spring Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Other Addresses:
- High Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Client: Portland Society of Art
- Building Name: Sweat Memorial Art Museum
- Creation Date: circa 1910
- Subject Date: circa 1910
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: elevations; presentation drawings; sketches; floor plans; site plans;
- Materials: ink on tracing paper; graphite on tracing paper; diazotypes; hand coloring; photocopies;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 2-C-1-01
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 17
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.