Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for an unknown client at 1228 Pequawket Trail in Steep Falls, Standish, ME, 1924. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
The Steep Falls Library (Pierce Memory Library) is a public library in Standish. The original structure, which is still part of the Library, was designed by Edward F. Fassett in 1917, with an addition in 1924 by John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens.
The money for the construction of the original building was provided for in the will of Henry Pierce, a Steep Falls native who moved to California in 1850. He became a successful businessman there, and it was this wealth that he left for the building of a library in his home town.
About This Item
- Title: Peirce Memorial Library, Standish, 1924
- Address: 1228 Pequawket Trail, Steep Falls, Standish, Cumberland County, ME
- Creation Date: 1924
- Subject Date: 1924
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: additions; presentation drawings;
- Materials: watercolor on paper;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 2-C-2-02
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 1
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.