Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Portland Society of Art at High Street in Portland, ME, 1909–1965. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Other addresses include Spring Street in Portland, ME.
The Portland Museum of Art, or PMA, was founded as the Portland Society of Art in 1882. In 1908 Margaret Jane Mussey Sweat bequeathed her three-story mansion, now known as the McLellan House, and sufficient funds to create a gallery in memory of her late husband, Lorenzo De Medici Sweat, who was a U.S. Representative. Noted New England architect John Calvin Stevens designed the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, which opened to the public in 1911.
About This Item
- Title: Lorenzo De Medici Sweat Memorial, Portland, ca. 1910
- Address: High Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Other Addresses:
- Spring Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Client: Portland Society of Art
- Creation Date: circa 1910
- Subject Date: 1909–1965
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Contributing Architects: John Calvin Stevens, II; John Howard Stevens; John Howard Stevens and John Calvin Stevens II Architects
- Contributors: The Kinnear Mfg. Co.; The American Metal Doors Co.; W. F. Kearns Co.; I. F. Frink Reflectors
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: elevations; sketches; architectural elements; structural elements; cross sections; mechanical drawings; technical drawings; floor plans; foundation plans; topographical maps; correspondence;
- Materials: ink on tracing paper; ink on linen; graphite on paper; graphite on tracing paper; graphite on linen; blueprints; hand coloring;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 2-B-3
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.