Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Portland Society of Art at 97 Spring Street in Portland, ME, 1909–1966. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Other addresses include High Street in Portland, ME.
The Portland Museum of Art, or PMA, was founded as the Portland Society of Art in 1882. In 1908 Margaret Jane Mussey Sweat bequeathed her three-story mansion, now known as the McLellan House, and sufficient funds to create a gallery in memory of her late husband, Lorenzo De Medici Sweat, who was a U.S. Representative. Noted New England architect John Calvin Stevens designed the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, which opened to the public in 1911.
About This Item
- Title: Lorenzo De Medici Sweat Memorial, Portland, ca. 1910
- Address: 97 Spring Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Other Addresses:
- High Street, Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Client: Portland Society of Art
- Creation Date: 1909–1966
- Subject Date: 1909–1966
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens
- Contributing Architects: John Calvin Stevens, II; John Howard Stevens; John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Contributors: Percy H. Richardson; Sally Dana; Davis Jahncke, Jr.; E.S. Boulos Company
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: elevations; presentation drawings; sketches; architectural elements; cross sections; technical drawings; floor plans; site plans; financial records;
- Materials: ink on paper; ink on tracing paper; ink on linen; ink on graph paper; graphite on paper; graphite on tracing paper; graphite on graph paper; diazotypes; hand coloring; photostats; photocopies;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 2-B-2
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 77
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.