Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Waterville firefighters in the foreground watch as cranes work to right overturned rail cars. The derailment occurred on June 9, 1979. Officials were concerned about a chlorine gas leak. No gas escaped.
This item is in copyright. Rights and reproductions for all UPI (United Press International) images are currently managed by Getty Images. The Maine Memory Network includes this and other UPI images for educational purposes only, and cannot broker its use. For more information, please contact Getty Images Customer Support.
About This Item
- Title: Train derailment, Waterville, 1979
- Creation Date: 1979-06-09
- Subject Date: 1979-06-09
- Location: Waterville, Kennebec County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 1/4
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Cranes, derricks, etc
- Fire fighters--Maine--Waterville
- Railroad accidents--Maine--Waterville
- Railroad cars--Maine--Waterville--1970-1980
- Railroad employees
- Waterville Fire Department (Me.)--Employees
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.