Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Maine Medical Center rises amidst the skyline of Portland's West End neighborhood. Prior to the 1960s, the hospital did not have a parking garage and instead used the plateau of land behind the hospital buildings for parking. However, as the hospital expanded, parking in the neighborhood grew increasingly scarce. In 1969, MMC completed the Richards Wing project, which included the parking garage visible at the forefront of this image. To accommodate the garage, MMC purchased from the city a lot that had previously been used as a reservoir, but had since been drained when no longer needed. The lot bordered Bramhall, Chadwick, and Vaughan Streets.
About This Item
- Title: Maine Medical Center, Portland, 1972
- Creation Date: 1972
- Subject Date: 1972
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.3 cm x 25.4 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 4221, Box 111, Folder 7
- Collection: Maine Medical Center collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Building construction--Maine--Portland
- Hospital buildings--Design and construction
- Maine Medical Center (Portland, Me.)
- Parking garages--Design and construction
- Portland (Me.)--Views
- Portland (Me.)--Aerial photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.