Courtesy of Henry Gartley, an individual partner
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Houlton's fire department used this fire equipment sleigh in conjunction with the Sockanosset steam pumper. It carrier fire hose, hose connections, tools, axes, and lanterns as well as fire fighting personnel. Between the years of 1879 through 1902 Houlton suffered from five devastating fires.
About This Item
- Title: Fire equipment sleigh, Houlton, ca. 1880
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Location: Houlton, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 8.9 cm x 14 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Animal teams--Maine--Houlton
- Fire engines--Maine--Houlton
- Fire fighting--Maine--Houlton
- Firefighting equipment--Maine--Houlton
- Horse teams--Maine--Houlton
- Steam pumps--Maine--Houlton
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.