Courtesy of Henry Gartley, an individual partner
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
The Amoskeag Manufacturing Company of Manchester, New Hampshire, built the Sockanosset steam fire engine. This one was bought by public subscription for $2300 after the town of Houlton was victim of its second severe fire loss in two years, in 1880.
The famous Sockanossett 22 horsepower steam fire engine arrived in Houlton in November of 1880. After some initial fine tuning it threw a large stream of water and was well received by the town and residents.
About This Item
- Title: Sockanossett steam fire engine, Houlton, ca. 1880
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Location: Houlton, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Real Photo Postcard
- Dimensions: 8.9 cm x 14 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Animal teams--Maine--Houlton
- Fire engines--Maine--Houlton
- Fire fighting--Maine--Houlton
- Firefighting equipment--Maine--Houlton
- Horse teams--Maine--Houlton
- Steam pumps--Maine--Houlton
- Houlton (Me.)
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.