Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The North End School was a one-room school house that served students on the north end of the island. This photograph belonged to the Colby family. Three of their six children attended this school in 1895: Ernest, Jeannette and Verlie. Verlie started attending the North End School "in good weather" beginning at age three, because she wanted to be with her older siblings. In her words, "they weren’t so strict in those days."
About This Item
- Title: North End School class picture, Westport Island, ca. 1895
- Creation Date: circa 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1895
- Town: Westport Island
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.8 cm x 8.9 cm
- Collection: Colby Greenleaf Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Families--Maine--Westport Island
- Group portraits--Maine--Westport Island
- One-room schools--Maine--Westport Island
- School children--Maine--Westport Island
- Schools--Maine--Westport Island
- Westport Island (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.