Contributed by Bangor Public Library
A fire in Pickering Square on 29 March 1891. The fire, which was especially fierce as it burned the finishing and upholstery building of the G.W. Merrill Furniture Co., caused some $8,000 in damage. In this picture the steam pumper is supplying water to the hoses. The fire department applied eighteen hoses to the buildings--newspapers reported that it was widely believed that if the fire had succeeded in spreading it would have endangered the entire business district.
About This Item
- Title: Pickering Square Fire, Bangor, 1891
- Creation Date: 1891-03-29
- Subject Date: 1891-03-29
- Town: Bangor
- County: Penobscot
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.5 cm x 13.5 cm
- Collection: Vickery Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Bangor Public Library
145 Harlow Street, Bangor, ME 04401
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.