Contributed by Yarmouth Historical Society
Members and equipment from the Yarmouth Fire Department surrounded Bernstein's Department Store on Main Street in Yarmouth on July 13, 1913 in an attempt to contain the fire.
The store was located across from South Street next to the railroad crossing, which is visible in the photo. The fire resulted in a $13,500 loss for owner Robert Bernstein, who nevertheless reopened the store in a new location across the street.
About This Item
- Title: Fire at Bernstein's Store, Yarmouth, 1913
- Creator: Corliss, F. M.
- Creation Date: 1913-07-13
- Subject Date: 1913-07-13
- Local Name: Yarmouthville
- Town: Yarmouth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: Coll 21, Box 9, Folder 2
- Collection: Yarmouth Photographs
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Animal teams
- Department stores--Maine--Yarmouth
- Fire engines--Maine--Yarmouth
- Fire fighters--Maine--Yarmouth
- Firefighting equipment--Maine--Yarmouth
- Stores, Retail--Photographs
- Yarmouth (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Yarmouth Historical Society
118 East Elm St., PO Box 107, Yarmouth, ME 04096
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.