Contributed by Oakfield Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Engine 55 was a General Motors BL series engine with 1500 horse power weighing 248,000 pounds. As it is pictured, it has just been turned on the turn table to head back to Millinocket. It is parked in front of the engine house coal tower. After 1950 the coal tower was converted to a crew lunch room on the second floor and the yard offices on the third floor.
It is rare to see a BL pushing a snow plow.
The snow plowbuilt was built by the Russell Snow Plow Company of Ridgeway, Pennsylvania.
About This Item
- Title: Bangor and Aroostook engine 55 with snow plow, 1979
- Creation Date: 1979
- Subject Date: 1979
- Local Name: B&A yard
- Town: Oakfield
- County: Aroostook
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 25 cm
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Oakfield Historical Society
PO Box 176, Oakfield, ME 04763
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Snow removal--Equipment and supplies
- Bangor and Aroostook Railroad Company--Equipment and supplies
- Bangor and Aroostook Railroad
- General Motros BL
- Russell Snow Plow Company
- snow plow
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.