Contributed by Northern Light Mercy Hospital
The Queen's Hospital School of Nursing opened on January 6, 1920, just two years after the hospital began operations. It operated until 1987. During those years, the school educated over 2,300 nurses.
Capping exercises began with a processional, followed by the presentation of the caps. After students received their caps, they took the Florence Nightingale Pledge, received an address and benediction, and finished with a recessional. Parents often attended the ceremony.
About This Item
- Title: Mercy School of Nursing capping ceremony, Portland, ca. 1970
- Creator: Mercy Hospital
- Creation Date: circa 1970
- Subject Date: circa 1970
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Collection: Mercy Hospital Historic Archive
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Portland (Me.)
- Health care personnel--Maine--Portland
- Health education
- Medical education
- Mercy Hospital (Portland, Me.)
- Sisters of Mercy.
For more information about this item, contact:Northern Light Mercy Hospital
175 Fore River Parkway, Portland, ME 04102
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.