Contributed by Northern Light Mercy Hospital
The Queen's Hospital (later Mercy Hospital) School of Nursing opened on January 6, 1920, just two years after the hospital began operations.
In 1930, the first public graduation was held with four nurses receiving their diplomas. In 1933, eleven women graduated from the program, six are shown in this photograph: Agnes Coughlin, Helen Doucette, Mary Lawlor, Ruth Mahar, Pauline Maheu, and Marie Michaud.
About This Item
- Title: Queen's Hospital School of Nursing graduates, Portland, 1933
- Creator: Mercy Hospital
- Creation Date: 1931
- Subject Date: 1931
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Collection: Mercy Hospital Historic Archive
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Portland (Me.)
- Group portraits--Maine--Portland
- Health care personnel--Maine--Portland
- Health education
- Medical education
- Mercy Hospital (Portland, Me.)
- Sisters of Mercy.
- Maheu, Pauline
- Michaud, Estelle
- Doucette, Helen
- Hersey, Agnes Couglin
- Murphy, Agnes Hoctor
- Beck, Mary Lawlor
For more information about this item, contact:Northern Light Mercy Hospital
175 Fore River Parkway, Portland, ME 04102
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.